This gluten free chicken nugget recipe is for anyone who misses eating McDonalds nuggets from dietary restrictions or by choice. Recreate these crispy nuggets and serve with honey mustard.Jump to Recipe
My girlfriend has coeliac disease meaning she is allergic to gluten. This is a double edged sword. On one hand I always get her bread at restaurants. On the other hand it is very rarely and option to split a bucket of fried chicken.
Being a chef naturally, when I have the craving for chicken nuggets I make them. With there being two of us it would never make sense to make two separate batches... and thus the gluten free chicken nugget was born.
Are McDonalds Chicken Nuggets Gluten Free?
If they were you wouldn't be here.
How to make Gluten Free Chicken Nugget Recipe
This is going to be a 3 stage breading process based off of Joshua Weissman's "But Better" Series. You'll make a thin cornstarch slurry, a regular flour dredge, and finally the tempura mix.
For this recipe you'll need a box of gluten free tempura mix. You can pick this up at most asian markets or at Whole Foods.
First take your ground chicken mixture and combine with the salt, sugar and msg. For this recipe I just minced chicken by hand but feel free to grind your own chicken or purchase it pre-ground.
What shape are McDonalds Chicken McNuggets?
Allegedly there are 4 different nugget shapes. The bell, the boot, the bow tie and the ball. At the famed Golden Arches they are cut with a rolling cookie cutter into a variety of perfectly similar shapes.
We are going to just shape ours by hand. Try to make little irregular patties by hand and place them onto parchment paper. Make them a little smaller than the final desired size as the breading will add some bulk and make them bigger.
After you have shaped all of the nuggets place them in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up while you prepare the other ingredients.
Next prepare your three stage batter. Combine the flour with the salt and MSG. Separately combine the cornstarch and water. Lastly follow the directions on the gluten free tempura mix. For the brand I used there was no egg required but follow the directions for your package.
How to cook Gluten Free Chicken McNuggets
Preheat a pot of oil to 375F. Working in batches coat each chicken nugget first in the cornstarch slurry mixture, then coat them in flour and shake off any excess. Last dip them into the tempura batter and and gently drop them into the hot oil. After 30 seconds to a minute give them a stir with a slotted spoon or spider (a type of slotted skimmer) to prevent them from sticking on the bottom of the pot.
After you drop a batch in the temperature of the oil will drop to 300F-325F. That's ok. Just try to regulate the temperature in between batches. The chicken is done when it reaches 155-160F in the thickest part of the nugget. Place them on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. The nuggets will continue cooking after removed from the oil and hit 165F.
ENJOY! Serve with Honey Mustard or Salsa Roja. If you want to make your own honey mustard simply mix 1/4 cup Dijon and 1/4 cup honey.
For other great snack recipes check out these boiled peanuts.
Gluten Free Chicken Nugget (McNuggets)
- Deep fryer or Deep pot for oil
- 3 ea mixing bowls
- A metal slotted spoon or spider
- 1.75 lb Ground or finely minced chicken breast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1 ea box Gluten Free Tempura Mix
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp MSG
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Honey
Form Chicken Nuggets
- Combine the ground chicken with salt and msg. Form into McNugget shapes and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up while you prepare the other ingredients.
Make the 3 stage batter.
- Combine the water and cornstarch to make a slurry. Set aside.
- Next combine dry ingredients flour, salt, and msg and set aside.
- Make gluten free tempura mix following the directions on the box. Keep all 3 batters separate.
Make Honey Mustard
- Combine honey and mustard.
Fry the chicken
- Preheat a pot of oil or fryer to 375F.
- Working in batches coat the chicken nuggets in this order. First in the cornstarch slurry. Then in the dry flour mixture, making sure to shake off excess flour. After that coat in the tempura mixture and go directly into the fryer.
- Fry nuggets until they reach between 155F-160F in the thickest part of the nugget. Remove from the fryer and place onto a paper towel to absord excess oil. The nuggets will continue to carry over in temperature until they reach 165F.
- Enjoy your CRISPY Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets