Here's my recipe for easy Thai lettuce wraps. I like serving these as a light lunch or an appetizer for dinner. Make these gluten free by using gluten free soy sauce. Make these keto friendly by removing the sugar.
Feel free to substitute any crunchy lettuce or to use other proteins. This recipe works well with ground chicken, pork, or turkey. To make them vegetarian substitute TVP (textured vegetable protein) or firm tofu.
If you've ever had larb in a Thai restaurant they are using toasted rice powder, lemongrass, and many other things. Something I love about Thai food is just umami or the savory flavor found in these dishes. A lot of Thai cuisine incorporates fish sauce, but don't be scared these won't tasty fishy, but instead have an intense meaty flavor. These easy Thai lettuce wraps are the americanized at-home version.
For the garnish I like to add whatever crunchy vegetables I have in the fridge. I often have carrots or radish and various herbs for asian cooking. Add whatever you like to personalize this recipe.
How to Make Easy Thai Lettuce Wraps
Wash the romaine under cold running water and dry them with a paper towel. Cut off the ends of romaine and lay them out flat. If you don't have romaine or prefer butter leaf or any leaf lettuce that works too.
Before we start cooking cut all of your raw garnishes like the radishes and green onions. Prepare all of the ingredients for the sauce.
Next preheat a large sauté pan over high heat. Use a non-stick if you have it if not any heavy bottom sauté pan will do.
Now sear the ground chicken over high heat for 1-2 minutes. It should start to brown. You don't want the chicken fully cooked.
Add in all of your liquid seasonings and the carrots and water chestnuts. Continue to cook until there is no more pink or chicken has reach 165F with a thermometer.
Build your lettuce cups and garnish with radishes and fresh herbs. Serve with Som Tum Thai Salad, Khao Soi, or Easy Green Thai Curry
Easy Thai Lettuce Wraps
- 1/3 Cup Soy Sauce gluten free
- 1 1/2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha use less for milder dish or omit completely
- 1 Tbsp Ginger grated
- 1 ea Lime freshly squeezed, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar substitute brown or white sugar if needed
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 ea Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1/2 cup Carrots shredded
- 8 oz Water Chestnuts diced or sliced
Wraps and Garnish
- 2 ea Romaine Lettuce Hearts
- 1/4 cup Dry Roasted Salted Peanuts
- 2 ea Radish sliced thin
- 2 ea Green Onion finely chopped
- 1 ea Cilantro Bunch picked
- Wash romaine lettuce and cut off the ends. Set aside on serving vessel.
- Slice green onions, and radish thinly set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Preheat a pan over high head. Add the chicken and brown until halfway cooked. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the remaining water chest nuts and carrots as well as the sauce. Continue cooking until all chicken is cooked and the liquid has reduced. Or until the chicken has reached 165F with a thermometer.
- Build the lettuce wraps with the chicken filing from the pan. Top with fresh radish, green onions, peanuts, and cilantro. Serve with limes and enjoy
Leave a Reply